Bioinformatician | Genomics
We are a growing research company on the search for a Bioinformatician – Genomics who has a passion to develop and apply bioinformatic tools and pipelines for the purpose of understanding the biology and management options for threatened and invasive species. If that sounds like you, read on!
Who we are?
At Cesar Australia, we believe in practical science and sustainable solutions. We conduct scientific research and extension across agriculture, conservation and biosecurity, working on a range of native and invasive land and aquatic animals. Multi-year projects are the norm, but we also offer customised services such as training workshops, outreach talks and laboratory-based services. Making sure our research is innovative, can be applied in the real-world, and is delivered to the user is paramount.
What will you be doing?
You will perform the role of Bioinformatician – Genomics, by undertaking research using bioinformatic tools, methods, pipelines and analyses to help inform management decisions for threatened and invasive species. Importantly, you will have the opportunity to develop our cloud computing capabilities for data management and analyses, as well as new software applications and pipelines to meet specific scientific project needs. You will also work directly with our sister company, EnviroDNA, to help implement and improve bioinformatics approaches for environmental DNA metabarcoding. In this role you will:
- Work closely with a team of geneticists, conservation scientists, entomologists and ecologists in a purpose-built facility to deliver exceptional outcomes for our clients and collaborators.
- Conduct bioinformatic analyses that may include genome assembly, generating and analysing SNP datasets from ddRAD (or similar) data, gene identification and function, metabarcoding and metagenomic analyses.
- Create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals and in consultation with other staff, researchers or collaborators.
- Communicate research results through conference presentations, workshop participation, scientific publications, or project reports.
- Develop and maintain computational pipelines, infrastructure, and resources across cloud-based platforms and/or on-premises hardware.
What would make you a good candidate?
- You have a PhD (or MSc with 4+ years of experience) in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, statistical genetics or mathematical biology.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (such as Python), data analysis skills using R (or equivalent), and experience with Unix and working on the command line.
- Demonstrated experience undertaking bioinformatic analyses and using bioinformatic tools for processing NGS datasets including programs such as Stacks, Bowtie, VCFtools, VSEARCH etc.
- Direct experience with the setup and operation of cloud computing platforms and managing large genomic datasets.
- You are motivated by a fast-paced environment where you will have to constantly adapt with a can-do attitude – no two days are the same, seriously!
- Our core values resonate with you: Scientific excellence, Bring grit, Love it & own it, Trust yourself and each other, Do good for the environment.
What it means to work for us
You get to be a part of supporting the agriculture sector and have a chance to make a real impact every single day you come to work. Some of the other perks of working with us:
- A collaborative, flat structured team environment with people who truly love what they do.
- Opportunity to work with a purpose-driven business – we are committed to making a positive impact in the world currently from our office in leafy Parkville, but soon from buzzing Brunswick.
- Regular social activities and celebrations.
- Individual, yearly learning & development budget.
- Flexible work arrangements, including remote working.
Bill Gates once penned “DNA is like a computer program, but far far more advanced than any software ever created.” If you want to prove him wrong with your genetic based software applications, take the leap and apply with us.
To start your application with us, please submit your CV, a list of past research projects and a cover letter (yep, we do read them) in one file to Sabrina Scherm and we will be in touch as soon as we can. Please include the word “#ilovegendata” at the top of your cover letter so that we know you really took the time to read our job ad.